Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Okay so I'm back after a long weekend (yea Memorial day). And though I doubt any foreign readership would be upset by my celebrating a day of mourning and reflection on the men and women who have served and died while serving my country remember this. I am a Union Carpenter (1068 and Kansas City can kiss my ass). That means that my union was essential in fighting for the eight hour day and the establishment of MayDay. Now the very country that invented the day does not recognise it. Unless of course you're a Wobbly (which I was for almost a decade). To top this off it was the founder of my union Peter J. McGuire that founded Labor Day as we Americans know it.

On Friday on the way to help a friend move I received a call from my union political rep (a union lobbyist). He asked me if I would go and do canvassing for a candidate that I had previously canvassed for. I informed him that I would not be able to due to prior commitments. In due course we discussed politics of the day. I related my shock at the loss of Crowe's seat in the day's elections and then patiently explained to this self professed Irishman about who Sean Crowe was etc (and people wonder why I hate plastic paddies) . I then asked him what the next steps were in regards to our political outreach. He informed that we would attempting to influence the caucuses for the upcoming presidential election. We discussed the various candidates and he told me his preferred candidate was Obama. He said that he liked his background and how he had worked his way through Harvard Law. And that was where I lost it. I duly informed him that this week I would be tying 19, 28ft long caisson cages and he wants me to commiserate with difficulties faced by a Harvard law student, not fucking likely.

I mean lets think about this for a minute Obama is the best the dems can hash up (at least in the way of meaningful change of the status-quo) and he still doesn't have a clue.

No comments: