Thursday, July 19, 2007

Come on the Hoops!

Look lets face it Beckham is a premadonna and his wife wants to be Madonna, but that won't "save" the MLS on it owns. The fact that he makes more than of the other All-Star (and I use that term loosely) players put together. Which is maybe why MLS is hoping that the bhoys will be able help pick things up. I on the the other hand am not so optimistic. For me it's not simply a matter of getting a "big star" like Beckham to trot out at halftime to wave to the crowds, but in trying to make soccer into an American game. To me this is something which can't happen, football, hockey, baseball (the All-American past-time) and basketball are already competing for that spot with Rugby, Lacrosse, and arena football all trying to pick up the scraps. On the east coast the baseball/basketball dynasties command something comprable to what soccer does in Europe (well not quite so many riots but still). Though here out west this is strictly speaking "Bronco's country". We bleed orange and cite the orange sunset as proof that God is indeed, a Bronco's fan.

Being that I'm a child of the Orange it might surprise some that I was estatic to see Celtic come here and play. I mean for fuck sake Celtic played in my town. Now admittedly they lost, to Americans of all people but it was still kind of cool to have them here.

No comments: