Tuesday, February 23, 2010

In Rememberance of Orlando Zapata Tamayo

May 15, 1967-Febuary 23, 2010

I will admit that it came as a shock to read the news of the death of Orlando Tamayo tonight. Although I'm always ready to have a go at the Cuban regime, the Cuban opposition has always remained on the fringes of my radar. That is no longer possible with the death of Mr. Tamayo. Let those who rally to the banner of freedom come forward now to decry the autocratic, undemocratic, and murderous regime of the Castro brothers. There are many words to be said over this, but not tonight. Tonight we remember a man who gave his life for freedom and liberty. You can keep your murals of Che, I will keep a picture of Orlando Tamayo as my symbol of freedom.

1 comment:

ethan gottschalk said...

You know, I was just on the Front Range this last week. Growing up in Boulder County, you encounter a lot of people who treat Che and Castro as some sort of gods, or at the least, some sort of political ideal. I can't really fathom why people there seem so willing to overlook Castro's deplorable record of human rights abuses. They try and justify it by talking about Cuba's literacy rate or healthcare system. Where does the disconnect come from?