Friday, August 10, 2007




Hold the Fort...

Okay so it's been a hectic week. Union meetings, middle/high school/college friends visiting and me being forced to eat tofu and listen to academics wax polemical about the working class struggle. Seriously, the second time I met these people they were calling me their "good friend" and practicing the polite art of conversation while not saying a damn thing. The truth is that I can count my friends one two hands and my good friends on one hand. Incidentally one of them is now staying in Delta via the courtesy of the state. It was well that I had only two beers the whole evening or there might have been trouble.

Continuing quickly on the labor theme established last time I am faced with a personal quandary that I was berating a business rep. about this week. I freely acknowledge that the local wages, benefits, and conditions will most likely improve due the "merger" with Kansas City. Note that despite encompassing more than five states it's still "Kansas City District Council" even though Kansas City has half the population Denver has. My issues are with how Kansas City gets the job done. From my observations it seems to be a mix of old school Teamster's thuggery combined with some back wood colloquialisms. I was initially and remain unreconciled with the new order. Now admittedly the reason that I was reconciled with the old order was because it was a dying breed of non super councils. The irony of course that I was held up this week by the very same business rep. as a model union member.

This blog has struggled with trying to juggle personal/political/cultural posts. I have many drafts that have never been finished and left to collect cyber dust. Many of my posts are fairly amatuerish in nature, then again, so am I. I would like to tackle some of the issues raised by Pete Baker and Fintan O'Toole over on Slugger as a personal follow up on one of my earlier posts. Hopefully I'll be able to get to it this weekend, but fishing and tiling my parents house will have to come first.

Okay, talk to you all this weekend, hopefully.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not a big fan of tofu! Still on the broader point I know exactly what you mean about friends. It's fairly irritating when people assume. I'd be like you, a limited number, and usually from quite distinct circles in my life. 'Tis better that way I think.