Saturday, February 23, 2008

Predictable story coupled with equally cliche picture


BBC is currently running this story right now with the header of "McGuinness: 'I would have killed'". The full quote being,
"If I have had the opportunity to kill every single British soldier that was on the streets of Derry I would have killed every single one of them without any difficulty whatsoever."
Though of course what he meant to say of course was,
"Given the opportunity I did kill or at least attempt to kill every single British Soldier, RUC, RUCR, UDR and RIR member that I could get my hands on without any difficulty whatsoever."
I'm sure that a correction will be posted on the SF website shortly.
The DUP responded by accusing McGuiness of playing to the gallery ahead of the Ard Fheis. Thereby once again demonstrating that although there are signs of freshness in the air NI still retains that hallmark of irony that we all have come to love so much.
Posting note: Whenever I try to post this the computer lumps the entire post together instead of leaving the proper spacing, fuckers!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's funny, isn't it, how the images of the conflict shape the discourse? I'm always searching for something a bit more interesting, but how to do it? Re the story, I think you're completely right... it is playing up pre-Ard Fheis...